Consultant (Network Coordinator), Peace in our Cities
Peace in our Cities (PiOC) is a global initiative dedicated to building a movement of people, cities, and partners to halve urban violence by 2030. PiOC seeks to: 1) pair local political will and leadership with evidence and engaged civil society, 2) strengthen partnerships by creating a global city-to-city platform, and 3) mobilize political urgency, support, and resourcing, in order for its members to be able to commit to seriously halving urban violence by 2030.
The platform, currently entering its second year of existence, gathers 17 cities and 23 global partners representing over 20 million people worldwide. Peace in Our Cities is co-facilitated by the Pathfinders Initiative for Peaceful, Just and Inclusive Societies at New York University’s Center for International Cooperation; Impact:Peace at the Joan B. Kroc Institute for Peace and Justice at the Kroc School, University of San Diego; and +Peace, a collective action platform of peacebuilding organizations housed at the Alliance for Peacebuilding.
The Peace in our Cities team seeks a Consultant to scale up the impact of its activities, including by coordinating and engaging with the members of the Peace in Our Cities platform, partners, and prospective funders, and facilitating effective cooperation among the co-facilitating organizations in an effort to deliver on the ambitious violence reduction goals set out in the PiOC Action Report and Political Declaration.
The Consultant will execute the following deliverables:
- Designing and managing an onboarding process for new members recruited in the next six months, and supporting outreach to prospective members (city officials and CSO partners);
- Developing and facilitating a process for strategic collaboration and work plans among co-facilitating organizations by coordinating a weekly meeting, preparing agenda and work plans, and developing efficient follow up and accountability mechanisms;
- Establishing and maintaining communication channels with/among the PiOC network regarding monthly updates and activities, and facilitating dialogue for continuous community conversation;
- Organizing and managing all PiOC communications materials across a wide network of partners;
- Managing logistics for events (in person and digital) organized by PiOC or with PiOC representation in the six months period;
- Drafting tweets and Facebook posts, blog posts, and assisting in creation of digital content; and
- Additional deliverables as mutually agreed, including but not limited to drafting MoUs, research ToRs, contributing to reports and briefs, etc.
The Consultant will have:
- Experience in community organizing, project coordination, communications and social media management; preferably experience managing global platforms/networks and/or similar global, multi-stakeholder initiatives;
- Experience launching community initiatives (e.g. building an online forum, creating an event series, maintaining blog, or writing an email newsletter);
- An entrepreneurial, creative, and proactive work ethic with ability to prioritize a wide range of assignments;
- High level of interpersonal skills and cultural sensitivity;
- Exceptional writing and verbal communication skills in English; and fluency in at least one additional United Nations language, with a strong preference for Spanish, French, or Arabic;
- Capacity to work both independently and as a member of a team;
- Superb time management skills, attention to detail, and ability to multitask;
- Experience with Slack, Facebook, and Twitter essential; proficiency in social media analytics, knowledge of Hootsuite, Tweetdeck, or similar programs;
- Experience with Google Apps (Gmail, Calendar, Google Drive, etc.);
This is a remote, deliverable-based consultancy, with a duration of at least 6 months (renewal possible), with a time commitment of 20-30 hours per week (negotiable for more). The consultant will ultimately be guided by PiOC co-facilitators and the strategic vision of the Network with weekly input from the operations team.
To apply for this position, please send a cover letter, CV, and links to work relevant to PiOC to Bojan Francuz, Pathfinders Program Associate, at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will consider applications on a rolling basis, and encourage applicants to submit by 30 November 2020.