Sustaining Peace: Partnerships for Conflict Prevention and Peacebuilding
With its twin resolutions on Sustaining Peace in 2016, in both the Security Council [S/RES/2282(2016)] and the General Assembly [A/RES/70/262)], the United Nations has made a commitment to taking more comprehensive approach to peace. Further, the President of the 72nd Session of the General Assembly, H.E. Mr. Miroslav Lajčák, identified peacebuilding and sustaining peace as a key priority for his term. The General Assembly acknowledges the role of a variety of stakeholders in assisting these national authorities fulfill their goals. With this understanding, the President aims to engage in a dialogue with civil society, academia and the private sector to elaborate on these strategic and operational partnerships, which are indispensable elements in pursuing a comprehensive approach to peace as required by the new concept of sustaining peace.
The meeting “Sustaining Peace: Partnerships for Prevention and Peacebuilding” served as one of the critical events in the process leading up to the High-Level Meeting and a valuable platform for the relevant stakeholders to present their perspectives. The event engaged diverse stakeholders in discussion on preventing conflict and addressing its root causes. Participants included university students and faculty, private sector representatives, civil society organizations, and government representatives.
This half-day dialogue will provided a platform for learning and exchange on this topic. It fostered conversation among all participants on challenges and opportunities for sustaining peace in practice. A summary of the discussion was made available on the www.un.org/pga/72 and servde as input for the interactive segment of the high-level meeting. Through this event and subsequent meetings, it is hoped that momentum can be built and sustained beyond the UN, and that greater visibility will be given to this critical issue.
Opening Remarks, 9:00 am – 9:30 am
- President of the General Assembly, H.E. Mr. Miroslav Lajčák
- Professor Jeffrey Sachs, Special Advisor to the UN Secretary-General on the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and Director of the SDSN
- Shamina Singh, President, Mastercard Centre for Inslusive Growth
- H.E. Maria Luiza Ribeiro Viotti, Chief of Staff, UN Secretary-General
Panel 1: Prevention in Sustaining Peace, 9:30 am – 11:00 am
- Moderator: Paige Arthur, Deputy Director, New York University’s Center on International Cooperation
- B. Abel Learwellie, Executive Director and Founder, Camp for Peace Liberia
- Others to be confirmed
Coffee Break, 11:00 – 11:15 am
Panel 2: How Partnerships Can Support Sustaining Peace, 11:15 am – 12:45 am
- Moderator: Andrew Tomlinson, QUNO director and Quaker UN Representative
- H.E. Ambassador María Emma Mejíia Vélez, Permanent Representative of Colombia to the UN
- Ambassador Hahn Choonghee, Deputy Permanent Representative of the Republic of Korea to the United Nations and Chair of the UN Peacebuilding Commission (PBC)
- Henk-Jan Brinkman, Director of Policy, UN Peacebuilding Support Office (PBSO)
- Alexandre Marc, Chief Specialist, Fragility, Conflict and Violence Group, World Bank Group
- Bridget Moix, US Senior Representative, Peace Direct